28 September, 2011

The Son In My Eyes- Book Review

Title: The Son In My Eyes - Seeing The Light of Jesus in Vietnam
Author: Mai Spencer with Dixie Phillips
ISBN #: 978-1935265665
Publisher: Deep River Books
Publishing Date: 2011
Price: $14.99 (List price)

The Son in My Eyes is a book that details one woman's journey through life and how she found Jesus after being raised Buddhist in Vietnam during the war. Mai was raised Buddhist by her mother and grandmother in Binh Chau, Vietnam. A town about 100 miles east of Ho Chi Minh city, most of it's occupants are very poor. As a child Mai works to help support her family and is exposed to many horrors of war including Agent Orange. Mai and her husband Dennis come to know the Lord after loosing three of their four children. They then work to bring a church to Binh Chau as well as the smaller villages surrounding the town.

Being far from a religious person I wasn't sure I would like this book, but I love books that deal with history and I love to read so I figured I'd give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised. While it was very religious as I expected it was still very interesting to read! Mai shares her life experiences in a way that you are really able to feel like you were 'there' watching. I'll admit there were times I laughed and times I cried like a baby while reading it! There were a few parts however that were a bit confusing, when she seemed to jump around in time a bit. While talking about an event in childhood she would mention her husband Dennis then go back to talking about the childhood event. Eventually the reference would make sense but it was a little confusing.

This book definitely made me stop and think about the struggles others have in life to overcome. It made some of my own struggles seem to be nothing in comparison. What we consider to be poor here in America is rich in other places, I feel that is something we all need to remember now and then. I do feel truly blessed to have what I have, especially after reading this book.

While this book isn't one I would have picked up at the book store on my own I would be interested in reading more about Mai and her life! If I were a religious person I would potentially have chosen this book based on the fact that it's based on a persons life and true events. I would recommend this book to people who are religious, seeking religion, or are Christians looking for a good book to touch them. In the end it was a very inspiring book overall!

"To read more reviews like this one, go to Tell Us The Truth Reviews!"



LinkShare_120x60_Button2v1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember to include your email like this in giveaway entries: threemenandmama(at)gmail(dot)com