17 January, 2010

Birthdays, Cupcakes, and more!

We had X-man's 3rd birthday party today and it was awesome!! He made out and is currently crashing from his sugar high and getting ready for bed.

We got to Sams Club at 11:20 this morning to pick up X-mans birthday cake and we were so wonderfully greeted by no one in the bakery. After waiting around and finally wandering to look for help we got some. Only to find out that our cake was no where to be found. The cake we ordered a week ago, the cake our almost 3 year old was so patiently waiting to see. Nope.Not there. No order to be found. Turns out the oh so awesome young girl working the bakery last weekend put the order in "the wrong bin" and even better...the cake decorator was out to lunch. Awesome right?! We had plans for lunch around noon and we were all hungry...they finally got our cake made, gave us a 4.00 discount and we were on our way.

But man I still had to make frosting for my dairy free cupcakes (I'll include the recipe at the end!), thankfully that was easy. The party went off without any problems almost all 42 cupcakes were gone and I got my haircut so I'm happy.

As for the "more" part well I'm officially 31 lbs lighter than I was 5 weeks ago when I had L-train, and I'm 25lbs lighter than I was when I got pregnant too! I feel so much better, I look better even my face is thinner! I slipped today and had half a glass of orange pop. Officially restarting my days of being pop free again but oh well. Shit happens right?

On the "Becky Homec-y" front my sourdough starter is looking good I think! My friend brought me a 2nd batch of starter she got from another friend too so I have 2 batches going now, I hope to be able to go without buying bread anymore really soon!

As promised here is my Egg Free- Dairy Free chocolate cake recipe. Also referred to as "Crazy Cake" in our family!

For a 9x13 pan:
3 c flour
2 c sugar
6 tbs dutch cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
12 tbs oil (olive oil works, but we prefer veg. oil)
2 tbs vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 c COLD water

What we do to cut down on mess is put the sifter straight into an ungreased baking pan and put the dry ingredients into the sifter and sift straight into the pan then shake it so it's semi even in the bottom of the pan. Make 3 holes (not all the way to the bottom of the pan) in the dry mixture, put your Oil in one, vanilla in one, and vinegar in the other. Start mixing with a fork while pouring in the water. Make sure it's very well mixed place into a pre-heated 350* oven for about 30 minutes. Check with a toothpick around 25 min. for done-ness.

For an 8x8 pan half the recipe and bake for about 25 min checking at about 20 min.
For 12 cupcakes half the recipe add about 1/4 cup to each lined muffin tin and bake for 15-20 min check at 15 mintues with a toothpick adding time 5 min at a time until done.

I made peanut butter frosting/glaze today for them and I don't really have a recipe but here's what I did.

2 big spoonfuls peanut butter*
4ish spoonfuls powdered sugar
Bit of rice milk**

Add all to a mixer and add more sugar and milk until at the right consistency

*can use any peanut butter type product, sun butter, almond butter, nutella(not dairy free), etc
**soy milk (unflavored), almond milk, or regular milk can also be used as well, really whatever "milk" product you prefer can be used.

I'll add pictures once I get them from family members I left my memory card at home today >.<

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember to include your email like this in giveaway entries: threemenandmama(at)gmail(dot)com