25 January, 2010

Nom Nom Nom!

So it's my second attempt at homemade sourdough and I must say it IS improving! I need to remember to lower the rack BEFORE I start baking though.

First you proof your starter, because I keep mine in the fridge I proof it over night so that when I roll out of bed and get moving it's all ready to go. Just like this:


Then you turn your oven on to 150 degrees for a few minutes then turn it right off, but LEAVE THE DOOR CLOSED. All the while you start adding your flour, sugar, oil, salt, to the starter in a nice big bowl. I start out with a spatula until the dough firms up then I switch to my God given tools and use my hands. Pretty soon you end up with a nice soft lump of dough that looks like this:


And THEN you stick it in that nice warm but not too hot and turned off oven and let it rise for a couple of hours covered with a towel loosely, take it out and let your little one punch on it a bit before flouring and kneading it for a couple of minutes, while the oven heats up to 150 and is turned right off again. Form your loaf and drop it on a nice lightly sprayed baking sheet, cover it again, put it in the oven and let it double in size. Yes I forgot to take pictures of these steps I'm sorry!

Once it's doubled in size reach in the oven and pull your towel out close the door and turn it up to 350 degrees and let it bake 30-45 minutes or until it's a nice golden brown on top and sounds hollow when tapped with a wooden spoon on the bottom. Let it cool on a wire rack or on a towel for a few minutes before enjoying.


Nom Nom Nom

And yes I know the date on my husbands camera is waaaaaaaaaay off whoops ;-P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember to include your email like this in giveaway entries: threemenandmama(at)gmail(dot)com